Part-time Catalogue Raisonné Research Assistant, temporary position
The Wildenstein Plattner Institute (WPI) is seeking a Catalogue Raisonné Research Assistant to support the Gauguin, Renoir, and Monet catalogue raisonné projects. The Research Assistant will primarily aid in consulting archival and library resources in New York City-area research libraries and provide scanned research materials for the Catalogue Raisonné staff.
The Research Assistant will work closely with the Project Manager for the WPI’s digital catalogue raisonné publications. Duties with primarily consist of assisting with research for a forthcoming digital catalogue raisonné projects, including but not limited to:
– Locating source material at NYC-area research libraries such as the MoMA Archives, Frick Art Reference Library, Watson Library, Archives of American Art, etc.
– Maintaining records and organized systems for tracking scans and photographs of materials consulted
– Assistance with image copyright research as needed
This position will be conducted as a hybrid of in-person meetings at the WPI’s Manhattan office and on-site work at NYC-area research libraries. We request a commitment of approximately 16-20 hours per week, with a pay rate of $25 per hour, starting October 2022. We expect the position to last three months, with the potential to extend.
– Graduate-level work in art history, museum studies, or a related field
– Ability to read French and/or German language preferred
– Familiarity with New York archival and library collections
– Prior experience with provenance and/or object-based research preferred
– Meticulous attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and remain organized
– Professional demeanor and intellectual curiosity
– Ability to work independently
For consideration, applicants should submit a resume with a cover letter and references by Friday, October 7, 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your “Name” (last name, first name) and “Catalogue Raisonné Research Assistant” in the email subject line.